Preventing Post-Flooding Mold at Home
This week’s rainfall has caused localized flooding throughout the Sacramento area. Many homes were flooded with inches of water. Mold can start to form in as soon as 24 hours. Even if the water damage seemed minimal it can cause devastating damage if it causes mold.
Even if your property and possessions seem to have dried you must properly assess them to see if they are salvageable.
Carpets are a problem because drying out does not remove the mold spores. Carpet with either mold or mildew should be replaced.
Wood furniture and other porous materials can trap mold and it might be necessary to dispose of them.
Non-porous items such as plastic and glass can simply be cleaned, disinfected, and reused.
An important thing to remember is mold thrives in moisture, so try to save items that have not been affected by the water. Putting blocks under furniture to raise off of wet flooring can be the difference between saving your favorite coffee table.
You can begin to clean and air out your home but drying a wet building should be left to professionals that know the science behind water damage and mold prevention. Mold can be dangerous to you and your family, so it is best to make sure mold does not grow in your home after a flood.