Be Wildfire Ready!
It always pays to be ready!
The need to prepare is real. Although it is a lot of work — requires the involvement of every household member — there are real benefits to being prepared.
Here are the three steps to being fire-ready:
1. Map out a wildfire action plan - Although this varies for every household, this requires the participation of each family member.
Here is a checklist to help you prepare a wildfire action plan.
- Determine an emergency meeting location outside of the fire hazard area.
- Plan several different escape routes and rehearse them regularly.
- Have fire extinguishers on hand and let every member of the household know how to use them.
- Ensure that your family members know where your gas, electric, and water main shut-off controls are and how to use them safely.
- Have a radio or scanner so that you can stay updated on fire alerts
- Designate an out-of-area friend or relative as a point of contact so that you can communicate with household members in case of separation.
- Maintain a list of emergency contact numbers. Keep these posted near your phone and in your emergency supply kit.
- Ensure to have evacuation plans for pets, large animals such as horses, and other livestock.
2. Assemble a disaster or emergency supply kit - This contains a collection of necessities your household may need in the event of an emergency. Each family member should have an emergency test kit. It is a must that you also keep extra kits in your car if you can not get to your home because of a fire.
To assemble your emergency supply kit, start by storing items in airtight plastic bags. Put your kit in one or two easy to carry containers. Emergency kits come in many shapes and sizes. Make sure your kit contains the items listed on this checklist.
3. Create a family communication plan - Communication networks and electricity could be unreliable during disasters. Creating a communication plan will help reach each family member and where to meet up in emergencies.
Every member of the household, from toddlers or small kids, seniors, and disabled family members, needs to be considered in creating this plan. It is a must that the methods are well communicated with everyone at a level that they understand. These plans must be well-rehearsed regularly so that everyone will be familiar and guided accordingly.
In any case, please know that we're here to help. Our staff at SERVPRO of Citrus Heights, Roseville, and Carmichael, are fully trained to clean up and restore your home if there is a fire.