How to Protect your Home from Floods
Prevention is better than cure. This adage is famous in the field of healthcare and medicine. But keeping this saying in mind and applying it in whatever situation we are in would save us a lot of trouble and extra work. And this also applies when it comes to disasters such as excessive rains that result in flooding - which can happen even in the most advanced countries like the US. When nature strikes, floods happen. And sadly, floods and storm water can wreck our properties, such as homes and businesses. And aside from the physical damage to our properties, floods can negatively affect our well-being too.
Floods are unpredictable and destructive. And If we are not prepared for the possibility and impact of a flood, times can be stressful, emotionally exhausting, energy-draining, and financially burdensome.
Having said all these, the best thing we can do is to decrease the impact, increase our capacity to endure, and recover stronger from these disastrous events. In these instances, flood preparedness is crucial, especially during the rainy season. And as a professional restoration service company, let us share some pro tips to be prepared and lessen the impact of this damaging natural occurrence.
1. Know your location well. Be sure to have flood details of your area. Spending a few hours understanding your location would save you a lot of trouble. It will give you an insight and let you prepare for the worst-case scenario. You can also consider having your house inspected by professionals to know how your home can withstand floods.
2. Regularly have your house checked and inspected. Look for gaps and cracks. Seal walls in basements with waterproofing compounds to avoid leakage. Fix any of these openings by yourself or you can call a professional to do the task.
3. Get battery-powered sump pumps. Sumps pumps enable you to remove excess water from your home when floods come. Aside from getting battery-powered sump pumps, you may want to also consider waterproofing your basement. It may be a bit expensive but it is worth your money when that catastrophic event happens.
4. Install septic or sewer link check valves that allow waste to flow one way. That will prevent sewage from coming back into the stagnant water in your home.
5. Ensure that you keep your expensive and valuable properties in a safe location. That may include furniture, artworks, certificates, and more. At the onset of a flood, be sure to place important personal documents, valuables, and vital medical supplies into a waterproof case in an accessible location.
6. Flood Insurance Program. Every property and belongings are vulnerable especially during a flood. That’s why it’s important to protect them. Ensure you get an insurance policy that covers cleanup and flood damage repair.
It is always crucial to have a plan to protect your family, property, and belongings in case bad weather strikes. A comprehensive plan coupled with the help of professionals will save you money, time, unnecessary work, and a roller coaster of emotions. And you will get the best preparative measure if you hire a professional restoration service company. SERVPRO of Citrus Heights/Roseville and Carmichael is vastly experienced and specially trained to step into terrible and dreadful situations and restore your home. With the assistance of our highly trained team composed of competent technicians, advanced equipment, and round-the-clock service, your home is in safe hands.