Home Heating Fire Safety Tips
Home heating equipment causes many winter fires and is a leading cause of home fire deaths. Space heaters account for 4 out of 5 home heating deaths according to recent U.S. studies. There are preventative measures to help prevent home-related heating fires.
- Keep all items at least three feet away from any heating equipment such as fireplaces, wood stoves, baseboard or portable space heaters.
- Do not use an extension cord with a portable heater, these need to be plugged into an outlet.
- Ensure your space heater has an auto shut off just in case the unit tips over.
- Make sure heating equipment and chimneys are cleaned and inspected yearly.
- Ensure your fireplace is equipped with a sturdy screen, this will prevent sparks from flying from the fireplace onto materials that can start a fire.
- Do not use your oven to heat the home.
- Turn off portable heaters when you leave the room or go to bed.
Your family, home, and safety are very important. Keep your home safe with these home heating fire safety tips, ensuring to prevent home fires.