Preventive Sewage Backup Tips
Sewage backups can cause damage to floors, walls, furniture, appliances, electrical systems, and more. Flooding from sewage is costly and inconvenient. Even with insurance covering a sewage backup, this is an incident one wants to avoid. Sewage smells bad and leaves an awful mess. Exposure to contaminants of sewage can expose your household to harmful bacteria and diseases.
Preventive Measures for Sewage Backups
- Toilets – Do not flush the following down toilets:
- Feminine products
- Paper towels
- Cloth rags
- Household chemicals
- Disposals – Do not pour cooking grease down drains. Fats and oils cannot break down easily in the wastewater treatment process and can solidify in colder weather.
- Drain Traps – Add drain baskets or strainers to catch materials that don’t easily breakdown in pipes.
- Clean Drains – Keep drains clear of clogs. Flush drains monthly with one cup of baking soda followed by one cup of white vinegar and warm water.
- Basements - Check for cracks in the basement and ensure your basement is sealed well.
Listed were just a handful of tips you can use to prevent sewage backups in your home. If you do have a sewage backup, it is recommended you do not try to clean it up on your own. Your health is number one, leave sewage cleanup to the professionals. Contact SERVPRO of Citrus Heights / Roseville and Carmichael right away at 916-966-2601