If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (800) 981-2601

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

Most Common Places a House Fire Starts

1/17/2020 (Permalink)

pink flowers and candles Candles cause many house fires.

Fires are usually caused by negligence, open flames, and cooking. According to safewise.com, of all fires in the United States, 31% happen in residential homes. To prevent fires, it is best to understand the main causes and where fires normally start in the home. 

Most Common Places a House Fire Originates

  1. The Kitchen

Half of the fires started in the home begin in the kitchen. That makes perfect sense as cooking takes place in the kitchen and many household appliances are in the kitchen. Using safety precautions when cooking is key and watching after the stove and flammable items in the kitchen can help prevent fires in the kitchen.

  1. The Bedroom

The bedroom is the second most common place a fire originates at in the home. Mattresses and plush objects like stuffed animals and pillows can catch on fire quickly. Newer mattresses are helped to the Federal Mattress Flammability Standard. If your mattress is older than a 2007 model, the best thing to do would be to replace it. Candles are a huge factor for bedrooms, do not leave lit candles unattended. Do not forget to turn off space heaters and other heating equipment like heating blankets and pads.

  1. The Chimney

Many fires happen in the chimney and surrounding the fireplace. Chimneys must be serviced and cleaned regularly. Keeping your chimney cleaned and serviced can help prevent a fire in your house.

  1. The Living Room

Living rooms house candles, fireplaces, electronics, and heating equipment. Couches, rugs, and drapes are flammable and can cause a fire.

  1. The Laundry Room

Dryer lint is the main culprit for laundry room fires. Clean vents and filters regularly. The heat from the dryer can easily cause dryer lint to catch fire. Try not to run your washer or dryer when not at home.

  1. Outside the Home

Fires often happen out on the patio where you may grill your food or where one may have a fire pit or small bonfire. Fireworks are a huge factor in home fires as well.

  1. The Attic

Ensure your home is to code when it comes to insulation and electric standards. Dangerous wiring can cause a fire.

If there is a fire in the home, you will need to hire a professional fire mitigation and restoration company. SERVPRO of Citrus Heights / Roseville and Carmichael are fully trained to clean up and restore your home if there is a fire.

Other News

View Recent Posts